Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Goats - Grrrrr

This week, we DO NOT have funny goats. We have super naughty, going to ship or butcher goats.

We've been setting up an electric net fence around the yard and moving them to it every day and back to their permanent fence at night.  It's amazing what a shake of corn can lead those guys to.  Until this week, when they decided that "heck with that awesome patch of brush and bushes and tall grass that she weed-whacked around for us - let's go for her burning bush, and her lily trees, and the asparagus patch"

Why did I let them go to all these places?

I didn't, they have now learned to resist the siren's call of the corn shaking in the feed bucket and madness and mayhem have resulted in goats all over the blasted yard - 7 of them in 7 different directions.

They are on house arrest and can longingly look at the grass and brush and have to be happy with their crappy hay and the tall weeds I whacked down for them.

I can no longer lead the beasts to the fencing and put them out by myself.  In fact, this weekend, all five of use couldn't get them in the correct spot.

Last night, I weed-whacked a path across the creek and then back again.  There is a huge patch of grass and brush to be eaten in this path.  I'm not going to be able to set up the fence by myself and definitely not be able to get them over there by myself.

The cattle did appreciate getting all the weeds I whacked, though.  Might have to keep doing that to clear out the creek and feeding them.  I am still messed up in the head, though.  (Wow, that came out wrong!)  Even after taking allergy medicine, I am still stuffed up from that, though.

I love having animals.  The goats are getting reconsidered, however.  They might end up on Craigslist.  The human kids don't like the goats' milk and they are drying off.  Which is my fault, but I had to worm them all and the withdrawl on the wormer was 2-3 weeks.  I wasn't going to milk them to just throw the milk away.  Therefore, I left the babies with them.

I think Craigslist is the answer for at least 5 of the 7.  Two of them might get a reprieve because they are cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. We all learn from each other and I would like to learn from you!

Comments will be posted as soon as possible. I've been getting hit with a lot of spam, so I need to watch what is going on the blog. Thanks for understanding.