Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Recap

I wish there was a way that I could enable my children to see that Christmas isn't about the gifts, but about the birth of Jesus Christ and being with family.

No, I take that back.  I think my kids are ahead of the game on what Christmas is all about, but I think the generosity of others in the present department leads them astray.

I'm as guilty as the rest of them.  i went into this holiday season with the absolute intent that we were going to do homemade presents this year.  We didn't need store-bought presents.  Then, I succumbed to the secular "must give more" attitude.

It's three days after our family gathering and massive gift opening.  Amazingly, I don't think that any toys have been broken, yet.  I will admit to removing the batteries from a couple of toys and repurposing them somewhere else, but I won't tell you from what toy!  There are several items that need to be returned and or exchanged due to duplication - who knew that K would get TWO pottery wheels for Christmas!  And it will be known as the year that adults didn't get to unwrap their own presents - we were being too slow for the kids, so they opened ours, too!

I was going to return the duplicate presents and immediately get a replacement.  The more I think about it, the less I am inclined to do that, depending on the way the stores handle returns.  I would much rather get a gift card to be used at a later date or the money to be able to put into our accounts or apply to our favorite charity.

We just don't need anything else right now.  The kids are overwhelmed with what they have and I'm getting ornery with the clutter and the "too much-ness" of it all.

But, I will leave you with my favorite pictures from this weekend.  It's not because of the presents in these pictures, but the looks on people's faces.

Yep - stomping on bubble wrap is more fun than presents.

K was so happy that she squealed when she opened this from Grandma and Grandpa.

My cute, pregnant sister-in-law - we got the same book from my Mom.

Grandma and K

The twins from separate parents - my nephew and Fixit

Bug and her new dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. We all learn from each other and I would like to learn from you!

Comments will be posted as soon as possible. I've been getting hit with a lot of spam, so I need to watch what is going on the blog. Thanks for understanding.